My best friends dilemma- any answers???

Hey Y'all,

So, this time I am writing about my best girl friend , who I have known since we were six. She started dating this guy, when she was in middle school and they have been dating almost 10 years now.They have an understanding and she swears to me that he is entirly faithful to her. Yet, he hasn't proposed marriage , and it just pisses her off . She asks me (almost everyday), that she doesn't know why he won't propose. I can't figure out myself. I have met this guy on many occasions and I can also swear that he is really faithful to her. I feel bad , yet don't know what to tell her.

Has anyone been in this situation or can explain why the guy must be behaving this way????

bluechocolate

What is 'middle school' & how old is this couple?

Whatever, it is rare that school couples end up marrying, even rarer that when they do it lasts, but there are always exceptions.

If she really, really wants to marry the guy then why doesn't she just ask him straight up to pop the question? That would solve her dilema pretty quick.

Part of his problem could be that because they have been dating since middle school he might feel that he has "missed out" on dating other women. I'm not saying that he is not happy and faithful, just that there may be some doubt because he has not had more experience. Your friend does need to talk to him about it rather than just you.

She needs to ask him if/when he sees them getting married. What is more important to her long term, being with this guy even with the possiblity that they are never married or finding someone else who feels the same way?

I agree that many school/college couples don't end up getting married. People change their goals in life or want to date other people. Imo, getting married that young is a bad idea, but staying with someone in hopes of changing their mind isn't good either.

slubberdegullion

What's the big thing about getting married? Seriously... If the couple is already in a committed relationship, what difference will a horrifically stressful and expensive ceremony and a piece of paper make?

What's the big thing about getting married? Seriously... If the couple is already in a committed relationship, what difference will a horrifically stressful and expensive ceremony and a piece of paper make?

absolutly agree slub...

SuperFantastico

Quote:

Originally Posted by slubberdegullion

absolutly agree slub...

Agreed. Alot of the time in a long term relationship like that, marriage actually

is the nail in the coffin. Maybe hes afraid of losing the relationship the two of them have. Divorce is at an all time high right now.