Heroin abuse - signs and symptoms

I've been trying to help a friend get clean off of heroin, but have caught him lying several times. He's been doing using dope daily for several years, and thinks he can get clean up on his own, which doesn't seem possible to me.

Sometimes I think he's just hustling me, and the stories of promises to clean have gone on and on throughout the years with friends and family.

It is so exhausting and frustrating for me, and it's been a roller coaster ride that I need to get off of for a while. I love him very much, but I feel my involvement has made me an enabler. because he's fallen in love with me and is repeating the same addicitive behavior towards the relationship in parallel with his drug use.

I have a few questions regarding habitual long-terms junkies:

- If you wean yourself off, how long can you go without using before it becomes unbearable? I was with him everyday and some days he'd be restless, sweating and kicking at night, other days he'd sleep ok (but usually it involved taking some a big dose of Nyquil or drinking alcohol).

- The pinned pupils - a sure way to tell if one is high - is there anything someone can take to counteract that? And how long does it take for the heroin to subside after an injection, for the pupils to return to normal?

- The withdrawals - how bad are the withdrawals if you go cold turkey? I was with him almost everyday and it wasn't like as hollywood dramatic as 'Ray' the movie. he said the physical wds are more like a really bad flu and only last a few days. But now I know that he actually got high the 2nd or 5th day. He only missed one day of work. But if he hadn't, would he have been able to go to work?

- Erratic behavior - some days he's sweet, calm and accomodating, other days he'll throw a temper tantrum, and run off or simply not return calls. does this mean he's high when he's nice, and withdrawing when he's not?

- Can anyone recommend low-cost treatment centers that are more holistic and not 12-step programs?

This is a great forum, best I've found so far, filled with a lot of insight and great support. Thanks everyone!

having dealt with an ex who developed a crack problem, and now working in the medical field -- though I am NOT a doctor -- here's what I can offer....

First- get help for YOURSELF. You need to realize that addicts are addicts. You are enabling if you offer a warm house, a meal, money, etc. Are you worrying all the time if he's okay?? There is nothing you can do to fix this--it's 100% up to him. Try a 12-step or holistic program for YOU...you will be amazed, if you stay open minded...what relief that can bring you.....

Second-I have never known ANY addict to get clean themselves...EVER.

Third-constricted pupils..nothing I know of can 'counteract' just that effect. Narcan is the only thing I know of for a heroin OD. And yes, it works immediatley. But it's not something people can get a hold of...especially addicts...they get VERY VERY angry when we 'kill' their high.

Fourth- Erratic behavior....if you stay, get used to it..it will only get worse. It's part of the cycle. My long-ago ex would cry, lie, cheat, ANYTHING to 'cause a fight' to have an excuse to leave to go get high. Then he'd come home days later crying again begging for forgiveness....it was a viscious cycle that never stopped. Heroin calms you....so if he's REALLY REALLY mellow, I'd say he's high. Then as the effects wear off, they immediately start to find a way to get more....

Fifth- A program for him?? I don't know of anything really...maybe INTENSIVE in patient type to detox first.or maybe a methadone clinic would be somewhere to start...other than that, it is seriously HIS problem...don't make it yours.

I hope that helps some. Believe me I know where you are coming from. I cannot tell you the number of nights I cried, the years I spent worrying...then one day, after I got help for ME, it all just clicked. I was satisfied that I had done all I could, it was HIS problem, he had to 'hit bottom' (cliche, yes, but true) and I left......I say-- though it was a bad 5 yrs....I learned SO much about life, love, and MYSELF and I wouldn't really have changed it.......

You deserve better. He may say he loves you, blah blah blah...but he's an addict. period. Do you want to find him not breathing one day with a needle still in his arm?? I've seen it--It's NOT a pretty sight.

Concentrate on YOU....

Wishing you well,

nite

• Author

Thanks Niteowl,

it's comforting to hear your words, and I agree what what you're saying. He is (or was) my best friend who I've known for over 20 years, so even though I will never completely walk away, I know I must step back and not get involved in trying to 'fix' his misery any longer. Most of my problems have come from my own expectations and attachments to it.

You're right, when he's calm he must be high because then his mood will swing to bitter, angry and lashing out. I always thought it was about the fight we were getting in, but perhaps it is the heroin wearing off.

The only thing left that worries me is that most of his friends and family have now turned against him due to all the lies, and it is giving him more reason to hate himself and be self-destructive. But he brought it on himself by asking for help, then turning around and not being truthful about the most basic things. I'm concerned that in his frustration and loneliness, he'll just stick a needle in his arm and OD on purpose. He's made suicidal comments before.

he might do that...he may OD on purpose. And it would be awful....

My ex did the same thing with the 'guilt trips'--when he felt sorry for himself, or bad about what he was doing, he'd go use, the same thing over and over agian. Your friend knows deep down he needs help, and hopefully, one day he'll get it. Until then, keep him in your 'prayers'.

I wish you peace in this...I feel for you. I wouldn't wish this kind of thing on anyone...it's a tough road.

Keep yourself healthy and good luck!

If there's anything else you need, hollar!

I been clean for the last 2 weeks and it was miserable quiting. But it took some thing drastic happening to make me stop.

I went out of town for a week to a small town 4 hours away from my house and didnt bring anything with and gave my keys away. I wanted to leave serveral times but with support from a friend I stayed. The first 3 night where hell. The first day was barable but about 48 hours into it it got rough, (puking, sweating, running to the bathroom every hour...the 5-6th day I felt almost normal. I still feel strange. But I am so happy to be DONE!!!

Coming back home was really hard lots of things remind me. But I am going to a support group 3 nights a week which helps alot, and Im avoiding all old friends that use.

I think inpatient drug-treatments are the best thing to do, if you cant get away. The methadone clinic didnt work for me. Ive heard success stories of people you subxuone. Since while on it you cant get high. With methdone. u can still use and thats what I did.

Everyday still is hard for me. I tried quiting so many times but I think cold turkey worked the best.

I wish anyone who uses the best of luck and to find a good friend to help you out. But the person really has to want to quit. That is something I think most addicts dont want to do. Its hard and you have to be strong. I wish you and your friend the best of luck.

I dunno if that helps you any, but its what worked for me... Its only the second week for me, I have a new perceptive of things.

The plasma life of heroin is about 72 hours. That's how long it stays in the system. In addition to pinned pupils there may be some nystagmus or strabismus of the eyes depending upon how much is used. There's also the sonambulance that follows the high.

Protracted use of heroin or one good run (daily use for about 30 days) can destroy the brains ability to produce endorphines, the body's natural pain killers. Since the body is being fed a similar chemical artificially, it figures it doesn't need to produce them any more. That makes it all the more difficult to kick the habit and seems impossible for some.

Sorry, but I don't have any good news for you.