The Grapes of Wrath

Paulie

I don't know, but I found this particular passage from "The Grapes of Wrath" extremely romantic. It summs up in a nutshell the classic definition of family unit, strength of charachter, and romance. Moved me, that's for damn sure. Just like the whole book.

"...men stood by their fences and looked at the ruined corn, drying fast now, only a little green showing through the film of dust. The men were silent and they did not move often. And the women came out of the houses to stand beside their men-to feel whether this time the men would break. The women studied the men's faces secretly, for the corn could go, as long as something else remained. The children stood near by, drawing figures in the dust with bare toes, and the children sent exploring senses out to see whether men and women would break.....After a while the faces of the watching men lost their bemused perplexity and became hard and angry and resistant. Then the women knew that they were safe and that there was no break. Then they asked, What'll we do? And the men replied, I don't know. But it was all right. The women knew it was all right, and the watching children knew it was all right. Women and children knew deep in themselves that no misfortune was too great to bear if their men were whole..."

This particular passage speaks absolutely volumes as to the relationship between women and men. While times change, human nature does not. The beauty of this particular passage spoke absolutely volumes to me, and I am amused by Steinbeck's own self-characterization as "inadequate."

I am curious for others' takes on this. Do women here still look for men with the kinds of qualities these men posess? Do some find this passage sexist?

Paulie

Hm.

I think lots of women nowadays would find that sexist... women like to scream about how they're strong and independent and all that ... it's good, but onyl to an extent...

I personally think it's great - I do think it's normal for a woman to seek that steady base in a man ... that support and assurance that everything is allright ... i know i'll definitely look for that in a husband.

Anyway, that's my 2 pence in :)

I don't know, but I found this particular passage from "The Grapes of Wrath" extremely romantic. It summs up in a nutshell the classic definition of family unit, strength of charachter, and romance. Moved me, that's for damn sure. Just like the whole book. "...men stood by their fences and looked at the ruined corn, drying fast now, only a little green showing through the film of dust. The men were silent and they did not move often. And the women came out of the houses to stand beside their men-to feel whether this time the men would break. The women studied the men's faces secretly, for the corn could go, as long as something else remained. The children stood near by, drawing figures in the dust with bare toes, and the children sent exploring senses out to see whether men and women would break.....After a while the faces of the watching men lost their bemused perplexity and became hard and angry and resistant. Then the women knew that they were safe and that there was no break. Then they asked, What'll we do? And the men replied, I don't know. But it was all right. The women knew it was all right, and the watching children knew it was all right. Women and children knew deep in themselves that no misfortune was too great to bear if their men were whole..."

This particular passage speaks absolutely volumes as to the relationship between women and men. While times change, human nature does not. The beauty of this particular passage spoke absolutely volumes to me, and I am amused by Steinbeck's own self-characterization as "inadequate."

I am curious for others' takes on this. Do women here still look for men with the kinds of qualities these men posess? Do some find this passage sexist? Paulie

I don't find it sexist at all. You can read alot into the word "man" meaning males. And assuredly that is the reference of this passage. However, place the word "mankind" in there and it is a beautiful sentiment of people standing together and making it work. I read a book called "I will be here" and the song that created the book details the struggles in a relationship (male/female). The author mentions that it conjures an image of man and woman with determined look on faces against a strong wind. Most definitely the same idea behind this passage. It is excellent. I think we need to be strong for one another - everyone needs it every now and then. Another thought - it is better to lose your pride to the one you love, than to lose the one you love because of pride. Break down and express your needs - it isn't a weakness. It is human!! I don't know, but I found this particular passage from "The Grapes of Wrath" extremely romantic. It summs up in a nutshell the classic definition of family unit, strength of charachter, and romance. Moved me, that's for damn sure. Just like the whole book. "...men stood by their fences and looked at the ruined corn, drying fast now, only a little green showing through the film of dust. The men were silent and they did not move often. And the women came out of the houses to stand beside their men-to feel whether this time the men would break. The women studied the men's faces secretly, for the corn could go, as long as something else remained. The children stood near by, drawing figures in the dust with bare toes, and the children sent exploring senses out to see whether men and women would break.....After a while the faces of the watching men lost their bemused perplexity and became hard and angry and resistant. Then the women knew that they were safe and that there was no break. Then they asked, What'll we do? And the men replied, I don't know. But it was all right. The women knew it was all right, and the watching children knew it was all right. Women and children knew deep in themselves that no misfortune was too great to bear if their men were whole..."

I am curious for others' takes on this. Do women here still look for men with the kinds of qualities these men posess? Do some find this passage sexist? Paulie