Getting a little tired of our country ....

OTT

I'm getting a little tired of the hand-wringing going on in the US . By their reactions, one would imagine that this was the worst atrocity ever commited against anyone ever.

Yet how many people died in Hiroshima? One million people died in Rwanda in the early 90's how many column inches did that get in the US? Recent reports suggest that around 5000 are dead . shocking. But far lower than the thousands who died in the recent floods in Orissa in India- how much coverage did this recieve in US?

Around 100,000 Iraqi children are estimated to have died in the past 10 years as a result of US supported sanctions.

Don't get me wrong- this is a spectacular and shocking loso of innocent life. But let's keep in in perspective. This isn't the tragedy to end all tragedies. Much, much worse has happened to many more people in the recent past.

Let's not get the impression that this is all the more appalling because the victims are American-tragic though it is.

What you are seeing in the media and in the reaction on the street is not so much about what happened in New York and Washington but what happened to freedom all over America. America has always been a free society. Terrorists have now rendered it not quite as free as before.

People will no longer feel safe traveling in planes, or working at their desks in high-rise office buildings, or in any building or public conveyance.

The story is not about dead people but about more than 300 million Americans who this week cannot enjoy the same freedoms they had last week without fear of death or injury.

America, the country with the most freedoms on the planet, is less free now.

Part of every American died along with those in the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

This is the story now and in no way diminishes the tragedies that you mentioned in your post. It just hits a lot harder when the pain is inside one's belly rather than on a picture tube or in newsprint.

femaleperspective
I'm getting a little tired of the hand-wringing going on in the US . By their reactions, one would imagine that this was the worst atrocity ever commited against anyone ever. Yet how many people died in Hiroshima? One million people died in Rwanda in the early 90's how many column inches did that get in the US? Recent reports suggest that around 5000 are dead . shocking. But far lower than the thousands who died in the recent floods in Orissa in India- how much coverage did this recieve in US? Around 100,000 Iraqi children are estimated to have died in the past 10 years as a result of US supported sanctions. Don't get me wrong- this is a spectacular and shocking loso of innocent life. But let's keep in in perspective. This isn't the tragedy to end all tragedies. Much, much worse has happened to many more people in the recent past. Let's not get the impression that this is all the more appalling because the victims are American-tragic though it is.

Getting a little tired of our Country...Then get out!!!

The loss of lives which you spoke of in other countries, are real, however, they are due to natural causes, or as a result of actions taken against the United States or the United States protecting another countrys freedom. Hiroshima, was a result of bombing this Country. If you really want to talk horror, what about the 6,000,000 Jews who were burned in ovens, or shot during WWII. What did the Jew's do to the Germans..not a thing...they were the "wrong" race. That is the HORROR of 9/11 events. A loss of freedom as an individual, to pursue life, happiness and have justice for all within the United States. Shame on you, but this is just how I feel, and in America, we have freedom of speech.