Older girl

Tom

A few days ago I was in a local store and the cashier asked me how old I was and if I was seeing anyone. She said that another girl who worked there likes guys my type. She told me to come back the next day and meet her. Out of curiousity, I went back and talked a bit with her. She seemed pretty cool and I enjoyed talking to her. One thing that concerned me a little was that she looked a bit older to me than the other cashier had claimed she was. Nevertheless, we exchanged e-mails. Later on, I looked at her online profile and saw that she was 8 years older than me. I hate to be seem superficial, but I have to admit that this bothers me a little bit. I would feel a little uncomfortable dating a woman so much older than myself (I'm 23, she's 31). So here's my dilemma: I would like to e-mail her and possibly be friends, but I don't want to give her the wrong impression. I don't want to lead her on. So, what can I say to her to politely explain how I feel? Any advice?

My mom is 10 years older than my dad. They met when she was in her 30's and he was in his 20's. They have been married now for 22 years...so you might at least give her a chance.

Peaches

A few days ago I was in a local store and the cashier asked me how old I was and if I was seeing anyone. She said that another girl who worked there likes guys my type. She told me to come back the next day and meet her. Out of curiousity, I went back and talked a bit with her. She seemed pretty cool and I enjoyed talking to her. One thing that concerned me a little was that she looked a bit older to me than the other cashier had claimed she was. Nevertheless, we exchanged e-mails. Later on, I looked at her online profile and saw that she was 8 years older than me. I hate to be seem superficial, but I have to admit that this bothers me a little bit. I would feel a little uncomfortable dating a woman so much older than myself (I'm 23, she's 31). So here's my dilemma: I would like to e-mail her and possibly be friends, but I don't want to give her the wrong impression. I don't want to lead her on. So, what can I say to her to politely explain how I feel? Any advice?

is it simply AGE that's the problem here?? well, if that's what you're saying the problem is . . . i just don't see it!! i'm currently in the absolute BEST relationship of my life, and she's a few years older than i am -- BIG DEAL!!!

but, if you DO have a problem with the age-thing, then you need to tell her that. you don't want to waste her time, or yours. if she's beginning to like you though, she probably won't want to establish a friendship, but you won't know that till you talk to her!

If her age bothers you, no problem with that. Everyone has their own preferences.

Just email her and make it clear from the beginning that you would like to get to know her and be friends with her, but that you're not looking for a romantic relationship.