experinces vs appearance

Soul

In my experience it has to do with the kind of job you are looking for. When someone has to deal with costumers, appearance, personality and social skills ARE more important then experience. As an example would you trust a hairdresser who has terrible hair or a dietican who is obese? Would you like to be served by a waiter who looks like he doesnt know the meaning of the words shower and bath?

Now on jobs which mostly require certain skills, say a carpenter, an accountant, a gardener ... there experience will weight more then looks.

But truth to tell, if I were an employer and I have two applicants one of them more experienced but with poor social skills, an attitude or being personally unkept, I would take the other one. To me being "dirty", having bad body odours and so on, means that this person does not respect her/himself and other people enough.

hi soul,

i don't think it's that employers are looking for staff who are "total babes", but they do place a lot of emphasis on people who are well-groomed, well-spoken and who fit the image of the workplace.

for example, if you are going for a job at a corporate company, you're hardly going to waltz into the interview in anything but a nice suit (this applies to males and females). you would also make sure that your hair is tidy, your nails are groomed, your make-up is tidy and not over the top, and your shoes and handbag/briefcase are clean. i have seen some people in the city (where i work) who are not particularly attractive but have excellent grooming skills and look stunning.

if you are able to feel at ease in the interview, ask intelligent questions pertaining to the job descreption, show a genuine interest in the position, sell your strong points and explain why you believe you would be an asset to the company you have an excellent chance of landing that job.

experience is just as important for many employers. a company wants someone who will be an asset to them and who is efficient, not someone who looks good walking around the walkplace.

just remember that grooming, applying for a job that you know you have the skills for and being well-spoken are three things that will get your foot in the door.

oh....and a concise and HONEST resume.

good luck :)

i have heard many a time that it's often in the first few minutes of meeting a person (this includes interviews) that

a person will decide whether or not they like a person. i know, it's very shallow, but it's very common and it's life.

also, many workplaces will ask the receptionist for their point of view on a candidate. so be friendly and be yourself. years ago when i was a receptionist, i was very appreciative of those people who would come into the office with a smile, or who were just generally polite and would go out of their way to make conversation with me (if i wasn't busy of course).