Guy says he's "honored" to be my friend

SweetVixen07

SweetVixen07

A couple of weeks ago...One of my guy friends wrote me a message on my wall at facebook.com. It said,

"Tiffany, thanks for the add...Calling myself your friend is an honor. Have a great [spring] break."

Before that message I had added him as a friend and wrote him a message saying "Smilez, thanks for the add." I expected that he wouldn't reply back. He wrote the above message just 15 mins after mine. BTW, Smilez is the nickname I call him sometimes because he has the nicest smile I've ever seen.

What my question is...is it normal for a guy to tell a girl friend (especially one he hasn't known for very long) that he's honored to be her friend? Or is he trying to share deeper feelings for me? LoL, this may sound kind of funny but why is he honored to my friend?

...why is he honored to my friend?

Good question! That will probably remain a mystery to us all.

On the other hand, you might feel honored to have a guy kiss your butt so sincerely. I'd say you have an excellent chance of getting him into bed.

Ok. Non-sarcastic version: It's one thing if you've known the guy for 20 years and you've gone through many ups and downs together. It's another if you've known him for a matter of weeks or months and he says it. Someone who doesn't know you that well is just selling out by saying that, and he's hoping you don't realize it. As if you're that stupid, which I doubt.

People who say things like that don't generally say them because they mean them. They say it because they think that's a good way to get you to think they have nothing but total respect and admiration for you. Then you'll totally trust that he has nothing but good intentions and you'll let your guard down and make it easy for him to get close. I'm not saying he has bad intentions, I'm just saying that 1) he probably doesn't know you well enough to know whether you're really that admirable, and 2) he doesn't really want to earn your respect with his true personality, he just wants to take the shortcut with compliments.

A guy wouldn't want to take the shortcut unless he was in a hurry to get something. So he's one or more of the following:

Desperate

Lacking in confidence

Lacking in basic social skills

Lacking in respect for you

There. I wouldn't have been sarcastic the first time if I really thought you didn't know all this already.

• Author
SweetVixen07

LoL, thanks. I mean it's nice to here other opinions from people. But I'll see what happens in the next couple of weeks. I'm well aware of how guys are...especially college ones...LoL I've definitely heard it all. But I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Don't read anything into it. he was searching for something nice to say and that's what he came up with.Sorry, but I have learnt this stuff from experience.

Don't read anything into it. he was searching for something nice to say and that's what he came up with.Sorry, but I have learnt this stuff from experience.

. Agreed .

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's meant as a playful compliment... just a nice thing said in a half-jokingly way.

He might be "testing the waters", trying to find out if you might be interested in him.

Or it might be just a harmless thing to say, with no "hidden" purposes.

(I'm a girl but I've said similar stuff to guys on some occasions)

Then, again, it could be as Johan described (I really hope not, but that kind of people exist).

• Author
SweetVixen07

Its cool now though...we've had some time to get to know each other. He was telling me about girls he had been friends with and they wanted more but he didn't. I asked him if he was the relationship type and he said no. So there's my answer...he was just being flirtatious. I'm glad I didn't pounce on him...thanks to those that replied...because I could have seriously gotten hurt.

Doesn't sound like anything really. I have some close female friends that I've told them I'm blessed to be able to call them my friends. Then again I've known them quite a while.