Best friends and then?

Anyone know why when a couple breaks up - either through divorce or a relationship fails, one or the other always says: I'll be your friend forever, or we'll always be best friends. Then within a short period of time, this person tells you to get lost, don't bother him/her any more, or they don't want to be friends anymore.

I've talked to so many people who have had this happen, and, I've had it happen too. Is this just rhetoric at the time it is said, do they really mean it, or do they for some reason become bitter when thinking over what has happened between the two of you?

Any insight from others would be appreciated.

No matter whether you're the dumper or the dumpee, there's always pain in a break-up. This "let's be friends" crap is just a way of making things feel better, temporarily. Often it's a way of getting the other person off one's back. It's just a lot of BS lip service.

Sometimes they actually mean it at the time and think it can happen. But from a practical standpoint, it is virtually impossible for remain friends with someone with whom you have been romantic, at least in the short term. Nobody wants to be friends with an ex lover only to hear about all their new loves and sexual adventures.

It's simply too painful to remains friends. But it sounds really nice and I suppose it's just part of being polite to say "let's be good friends" at the time. It very seldom works out that way.

Women have to use the line a lot because a lot of guys just won't give up and that's about the best way to get them out of the picture long enough for them to get their head on straight and stop bothering them.