life

Jealousy the green eyes monster. how familiar are you all with him?

He visists me often. sometimes for no logical reason, i suddenly feel a tug of the heartstrings, a stabbing in my chest cavity. My logical laughs it off. But yet the emotions and feelings can't be stopped.

Why do we feel jealousy? is it because we care too much? because we are too insecure? or because we don't trust enough?

Irrational jealousy comes out of fear, especially the fear that you are not good enough or the fear that your partner might leave you. It's good to be in touch with your feelings, because that way you can acknowledge them without letting them rule you or destroy your relationship. Remind yourself of all the reasons why you trust your partner... make a list and look at it when the jealousy starts to overwhelm you. Also, if you want, try to make a list of reasons why you don't trust your partner, so that you can face your fears head on.

If you're not in a committed relationship with the person, then that's a different process... and it requires coming to terms with the fact that you don't have as much of their love as you wish you had (which can be very painful to face).

Jealousy is mostly a sign of insecurity and an unwillingness to let others conduct their lives as they choose, with whom they choose, etc. It also has its roots in the fear of losing someone who is held close at heart.

However, we cannot and should not have a desire to control anyone to the extent that we would have such a violent reaction to their being interested in other people or activities.

Jealousy is an extremely selfish emotion, rather ancient, rather immature.

A lot of people never grow up.

Is it possible to suspend knee-jerk reactions, conversion campaigns, and ridicule for a single thread?

No pointing fingers

A lot of us came here because we are interested in learning about other's belief systems. There are many paths. I'd enjoy learning how and why you have chosen your particular path.

I'll start. Are there any Muslims among us? Would you mind telling me how long you have been a muslim, what your basic tenets are and how your spiritual life affects your behaviors and ideas, and relationships.