am i worrying too much?

Hey...

a guy i am dating (not exclusively, and only recently) hasn;t contacted me for like a week ... he was supposed to go to a doctor when i last heard from him ... (he has some recurrent probs (physical, not mental)) ... anyway, we usually keep in touch thru instant messaging - every other day or so ... he has vanished completely - hasn't replied my msg from like 5 days ago (really unusual)... no answer on his cell or at home ... i am kind of worried - maybe the doctor found something really bad ... i don't know ...

i know it's senseless to worry since i cant do anything anyway but ... he also might be simply out of town visiting friends or something ... (though he does work, and it'd be unusual for him to take days off)...

my main question is - am i paying too much attention to his life?... am i being "clingy" or whatever by wanting to know, generally, what he is up to?... we also had plans for this sunday (not confirmed, but we mentioned it, so he'd normally call & see if we're on or not - i say normally cuz we were friends before this dating thing), and i didnt hear from him ...

thanks in advance for comments ... :)

It could be a number of things, but the besy thing you can do at this point is wait for him to call you. If you don't hear from him by Friday night, call him on Saturday and if you can't get a hold of him and he doesn't return your calls...forget about him.

It doesn't sound like you're going overboard, it's always weird when someone you've been communicating regularly with suddenly drops off the radar screen. But if you've left messages that he hasn't yet returned I think you've done all that you can for the time being. If the weekend comes and goes with no word from him I'd say he owes you an explanation at the very least.

Do you have friends in common that you could contact, say, a week from now if you still haven't heard from him? At that point I think that your concern would be very understandable and wouldn't be misinterpreted as being too clingy or nosey. If you don't know anyone in common, I guess you could go by his place to see if there are signs of life (is his mail being taken in, have his neighbors seen him?).

Weird! I hope it turns out that he's just had a bad cold and hasn't been taking calls all week.

• Author

Yeah, u'r right, i'll ask a common friend next week if he doesn't turn up... although i dont want them questioning me or him about our reln-ship...

He has some health probs, and last time he vanished like this, it turned out he was in hospital for several days ...

I think thats what happened (cuz he said he was going to see his doc), so im not mad at him...

Thanks for your comments!

It doesn't sound like you're going overboard, it's always weird when someone you've been communicating regularly with suddenly drops off the radar screen. But if you've left messages that he hasn't yet returned I think you've done all that you can for the time being. If the weekend comes and goes with no word from him I'd say he owes you an explanation at the very least. Do you have friends in common that you could contact, say, a week from now if you still haven't heard from him? At that point I think that your concern would be very understandable and wouldn't be misinterpreted as being too clingy or nosey. If you don't know anyone in common, I guess you could go by his place to see if there are signs of life (is his mail being taken in, have his neighbors seen him?). Weird! I hope it turns out that he's just had a bad cold and hasn't been taking calls all week.
  • Author

Turned out he was in hospital for the week... unfortunate but at least he's okay now ...

thanks

-yes

Hey... a guy i am dating (not exclusively, and only recently) hasn;t contacted me for like a week ... he was supposed to go to a doctor when i last heard from him ... (he has some recurrent probs (physical, not mental)) ... anyway, we usually keep in touch thru instant messaging - every other day or so ... he has vanished completely - hasn't replied my msg from like 5 days ago (really unusual)... no answer on his cell or at home ... i am kind of worried - maybe the doctor found something really bad ... i don't know ... i know it's senseless to worry since i cant do anything anyway but ... he also might be simply out of town visiting friends or something ... (though he does work, and it'd be unusual for him to take days off)... my main question is - am i paying too much attention to his life?... am i being "clingy" or whatever by wanting to know, generally, what he is up to?... we also had plans for this sunday (not confirmed, but we mentioned it, so he'd normally call & see if we're on or not - i say normally cuz we were friends before this dating thing), and i didnt hear from him ... thanks in advance for comments ... :)

I'm glad to hear that, on both counts.

-m

Turned out he was in hospital for the week... unfortunate but at least he's okay now ... thanks -yes