certain kind of guys ...

My friend likes this guy... He's the type of guys i've been curious about - i have other friends like him. He's always very calm, not particularly liking or excited about anything... sort of hard to move, mentally... then what happens is now n then he'll open up and be nice and warm ... while at other times he is on the verge of 'why are u talking to me, anyway?' attitude... my friend called him a few times to play tennis together, he has always told her he has plans. In my experience with this type of guys, i also got told they had plans a few times, but later on they'd ask me out, etc. ... so i take it as a strong form of independence... in any case- the question is ... how to tell if he's just generally careless/carefree like that & it doesn't mean he doesn't like u, or he indeed doesn't like u... they're a hard type to read... any ideas? thanks

he sounds like an arrogant schlong. why waste your time? besides, doesn't your friend like him? back off and get your own sandwhich.

My friend likes this guy... He's the type of guys i've been curious about - i have other friends like him. He's always very calm, not particularly liking or excited about anything... sort of hard to move, mentally... then what happens is now n then he'll open up and be nice and warm ... while at other times he is on the verge of 'why are u talking to me, anyway?' attitude... my friend called him a few times to play tennis together, he has always told her he has plans. In my experience with this type of guys, i also got told they had plans a few times, but later on they'd ask me out, etc. ... so i take it as a strong form of independence... in any case- the question is ... how to tell if he's just generally careless/carefree like that & it doesn't mean he doesn't like u, or he indeed doesn't like u... they're a hard type to read... any ideas? thanks

My first instinct tells me that this fellow is somewhat withdrawn and fearfull of social situations. His fear could cause an affective behaviour change which he would feel compelled to push people away.