Young Alcoholic

Messed Up

I am a law student. I used to get great grades. I had great friends, I had a challenging job. Now I am barely passing class, my friends have deserted me, and I am running so far behind at work I am in danger of being fired. This has all happened over 6 months, and if I am honest I can put almost all of it down to alcohol. I started to go out clubbing, getting drunk 4 - 5 nights a week and spending the rest of my time recovering. Not only that, but I began to get involved with some dodgy characters - club owners, bar tenders, drug dealers... I lost my virginity to some guy coz he owns the coolest club in town. It's something I will regret for the rest of my life. Although I realise all of this, I can't stop drinking. The worse my life becomes, the more I need to escape. I can't ever just have one drink - I always have to get drunk. Anyway i am writing this to warn others that alcoholism can happen to anyone, even a young, intelligent woman like myself. It's ruined my life, I'm so f***ed.

You have not ruined your life. But I am warning you that this forum does not allow the use of profanity here, and I'm afraid your post may be deleted by site management. I will paste and repost your post without the expletive to ensure that you will be heard.

You are RUINING, but have not RUINED your life. I encourage you to inquire if there are provisions that might allow you a temporary leave of absence from work and/or school due to medical reasons. Alcoholism IS a medical reason. The school will have to hold that reason in the utmost confidence, and you will be protected by federal privacy laws. Alcoholism is a disease, just like any other.

I encourage you to seek out Alcoholics anonymous...TODAY. I encourage you to make use of all the people at school, counselors or otherwise that are there to help you.

You must be PROACTIVE, this thing will not whip itself in the @ss, you must, and you do have the power to. I myself am fairly spiritual, and whenever I feel powerless, I find inspiration in the scriptures:

Jesus said "The Power of The Holy Spirit Lies Within You."

Alcohol in and of itself is a good thing. Used properly, it has great power to FREE the spirit. Abused, it is used to numb the spirit. My guess is that you have pain of various types that are somehow socially related that you are trying to numb with alcohol. You must confront these problems outside the club scene. It is ONLY in this way you will be true to yourself, and will ultimately find happiness.

Meaning all the power to battle our deamons lies within you, if you call on that power. You must be strong. You have it within you. While you may feel powerless right now, you have the power within you to confront this. You are the master of your own spirit. If you feel like talking off the board, e-mail me at <e-mail address removed>.

Paulie

I am a law student. I used to get great grades. I had great friends, I had a challenging job. Now I am barely passing class, my friends have deserted me, and I am running so far behind at work I am in danger of being fired. This has all happened over 6 months, and if I am honest I can put almost all of it down to alcohol. I started to go out clubbing, getting drunk 4 - 5 nights a week and spending the rest of my time recovering. Not only that, but I began to get involved with some dodgy characters - club owners, bar tenders, drug dealers... I lost my virginity to some guy coz he owns the coolest club in town. It's something I will regret for the rest of my life. Although I realise all of this, I can't stop drinking. The worse my life becomes, the more I need to escape. I can't ever just have one drink - I always have to get drunk. Anyway i am writing this to warn others that alcoholism can happen to anyone, even a young, intelligent woman like myself. It's ruined my life, I'm so f***ed.

Damn... If I was smart I wouldnt touch this one in a million. But girl you need to put your priorities first. i know its easier said than done, but the only way your gonna get through this and get your life back is to have good will power and fight it. My whole family pretty much consists of alcoholics and Ive seen it come and go hunny. Theres no group or organization that can pull you out of a mess such as alcoholism but you. You need to focus on your job first. My advice to you is to keep your self at the office as much as possible so your not around the alcohol environment. I wish I could have the answer for you that would work in an instant but I dont. So if you just try I know with the little advice that I did give you, it may take a while, but in the end you will find that it will all be worth it. I promise...

---Amber

You are not ruined. You have the presence of mind to know you have a problem and admit it to yourself. That is no small feat! There are many people who don't think alcohol abuse has anything to do with the perdicaments they find themselves in. So, in that respect, you are already closer to getting things back in order.

I don't know a whole lot about alcoholism and you didn't ask for any advice, but I do hope you can overcome this problem and get yourself going in a positive direction. Don't be afraid to seek help from family, friends, professionals and support groups. There are people that can and will help. Do whatever you have to do to set yourself straight.