The Best Man

Ok here's the situation. I'm 26 years old and engaged to a man who's been my best friend since we were dorky 15 year olds in High School. So needless to say I deeply love and respect this man. However, about a year ago, he finally introduced me to his older best friend "Jack." They've known each other forever and are like brothers. More than brothers. But from the moment I met his friend Jack, we clicked instantly and I fell for him in a way I've never fallen for anyone.

I still love my fiance but I have to admit that we have almost completely opposite personalities. How we've grown so close over all these years is anyone's guess, because he is an earnest, grumpy, glass-half-empty kind of person, while I am his cheerful, sickeningly sweet, glass-half-full opposite. But from the moment I met Jack I saw in him all the warmth, happy, and positive energy I've been looking for all my life. Our personalities are so much alike. He's truly everything I never thought I'd find in a person. I find myself wishing that I'd met Jack first. Now I don't know what to do.

Sometimes I just want to call off my engagement, and completely disappear. I don't want to spend the rest of my life with one man but be in love with another. I'd rather never see either one of them again than play that kind of game. On the other hand, I don't want to mess up what could be a life-long union just because I have the hots for the best man.

I haven't told anyone how I feel, and I have no idea how Jack feels about me. He once said that if my fiance ever got hit by a bus he would snatch me up, lol. But that was meant as a joke. I keep trying to tell myself that this is just a phase I'm going through and that it will pass. Do I leave? Or do I get over this, grow up, and marry the man I've chosen?

Do I leave? Or do I get over this, grow up, and marry the man I've chosen?

Do one or the other, but please for god sake don't run off with Jack!

• Author
Do one or the other, but please for god sake don't run off with Jack!

lol, thanks. I'm just grateful that someone responded. :(

lol, thanks. I'm just grateful that someone responded. :(

Good because that's the best advice I could see anyone giving! Please take heed! You must not take off with this Jack. You probably shouldn't get married either. Might save you a divorce. You should be 100% sure that there is no other man for you before you marry. You are not. But this Jack is not the one!

• Author
Good because that's the best advice I could see anyone giving! Please take heed! You must not take off with this Jack. You probably shouldn't get married either. Might save you a divorce. You should be 100% sure that there is no other man for you before you marry. You are not. But this Jack is not the one!

Thank you. I see what you mean about not getting married. I was thinking that maybe that might not be the best idea right now either. I'll probably take some time to really think about what I want before getting married. If the Jack pangs get too bad, I'll definitely take off.

because he is an earnest, grumpy, glass-half-empty kind of person, while I am his cheerful, sickeningly sweet, glass-half-full opposite.

You don't want to marry that guy. For starters, if you really feel you need a similarly cheerful person in your life, then your guy will never measure up. And secondly, the pessimist types can suck the life out of you.