Strings still attached

Basically here's the situation:

My boyfriend and I both love one another still.. very greatly. This relationship pales in comparison to what I have felt before. What's so hard is that we are breaking up on good terms. We both view one another as "perfect mates" but we're at different crosspoints in our lives. I'm looking for something stable, mature... a commitment. He's young, and although he's very mature for his age, he's been through rough times. He hasn't really been able to "live his life" as a young kid. I think deep down he wishes he were just a "kid" and able to just relax, have no responsibilities, and have fun.

What's so depressing is that he fell in love with me HARD. For the past 4-5 months he has tried everything to release me from my "cocoon". He's promised everything to me... even asking me to marry him. But, me being who I am and fearing what hurt love may bring... I was never able to give him my 100% (just got out of 5 year relationship that ended with my ex cheating on me). And now, when I am finally able to open my heart completely, it's over. That is what is tearing me apart.

We've decided to move apart from one another but still maintain an open relationship. We both feel as if this is a timing issue... that perhaps in a few months, a year, or even two, we both may want the same things in life and if our feelings are mutual, give it another go.

Is this a bad idea?