Internet addiction

Vera

Hi everyone,

I have a serious addiction to message boards. I rarely go out, I rush to see if anyone has responded to my posts, & frequently read & reread what I have written and think to myself how clever I am. I love seing my name on the screen & handing down heavy handed advice. I give the impression I am a strong person but truth be told I have no life except what I write on the screen. I have developed a persona of someone who has seen & done it all & still experiences life to the fullest. That is not me, I am a message board junkie starving for the attention and respect of others.

You need therpeutic intervention as soon as possible. Message boards are fun but they are certainly not meant to be a central part of one's life.

You do not get the respect and attention of others at a message board. They think about you for the time they are reading your post and their mind is off to other things.

If you crave this kind of attention so much, you need to write movies, books, etc. or discover something that will benefit mankind. If you had sufficient self esteem, you would not find a need for this kind of attention...which is only an illusion.

A week or two away from the message board and your netname will be forgotten. Life requires a balance and if we tilt our lives only in one direction, there's trouble ahead.

With the many thousands of message boards, newsgroups, etc. on the Internet, chances are your audience is around 100 to 150 different people each week worldwide. I wouldn't call that getting a whole lot of attention considering there are 6 billion people on the earth.

I'm not addicted to this forum but I enjoy being here and not to get attention but to help people with their problems. I also learn a lot from reading other people's posts and advice.

i have a gut feeling this post was intended as a personal jab at someone who visits this forum. a bit sarcastic and snide perhaps?

i certainly don't think it's a legitimate post.

it would be nice if i'm wrong ;)

AND a bit immature i may add

i have a gut feeling this post was intended as a personal jab at someone who visits this forum. a bit sarcastic and snide perhaps? i certainly don't think it's a legitimate post. it would be nice if i'm wrong ;)

You write: "Vera could be Tony's alter ego"

Not a chance, my friend. And whether the post was legitimate or made up, it points up a very serious problem that some Internet enthusiasts have.

I don't think in this case it's productive to go on and on speculating on its legitimacy.

For Personality,

I heard that what you would see on net is similar to what you see in RL when you over hear some conversation in bar for example. It is just a snapshot of their character..nothing more. Most people come to net to while away the time, to have fun or to express some opinon- this opinion may/may not be skewed, depending on the context of the previous messages in the topic.

And there are some who try to maintain a consistent persona on net, and again, this is just what they wish people to perceive..on net we just have access to the words they write and the way it is presented..not a really accurate indication of their real personalities.

Goodness gracious, you do have a problem.....but luckily, the first step to dealing with an addiction is recognizing it and admitting it, so see, you're already halfway there!!

Internet addiction is a growing problem, and I'm sure there are counselors and therapists out there who have specialized training in this. Look in the Yellow Pages.

L