hate being liked

i'm a girl and i once had a friend who developed feelings for me only 2 or 3 weeks of having class together and talking briefly. we drew closer only as friends and saw him as nothing else. i wasn't physically attracted to him so it made it impossible for me to be attracted to him on a more intimate level. we were close as in we went to the movies together and talked to on the phone. he was one of those "nice guys" and it felt weird being treated right.

so he finally asked me out and i said i had a boyfriend in which i didn't and started to avoid his phone calls. the problem is that after he told me he liked me i cut off all ties with him. being someones crush makes me EXTREMELY uncomfortable, to the point where i almost couldn't stand being around him. this happens when a guy tells me he likes me, then i automatically dislike him and end the friendship. i don't know why this is. i take advantage of them when they tell me they like me and that's what i did with this guy. he treated me man should treat a women. why is this?